Wednesday, April 14, 2010

In my quilt room



These are the 2 quilts I have hanging in my quilting space right now (also known as the guest bedroom). The pink one is made from pre-cut 5 inch squares that I found for 5 cents a piece at my local Ben Franklin. I am not usually a "pink" person but I love the way this turned out. I hand-quilted it and I like the way that turned out, too. The triangle border was just a whim that turned out okay. I had never done it before so I just sort of "winged it". Next time I might plan it out a little more because I had some triangles that didn't meet up with the corners well. Oh well!
The blue and brown quilt was one of my first attempts at triangles. I'm not very good at them and the blocks turned out much smaller than I thought they would. I ended up just putting them away for awhile and when I was pregnant and nesting, I dug them back out. I am not above seam-ripping but I didn't have the heart to undo all my work so I just sewed it all together and quilted it. As I hand-quilted it, it started to become something I actually liked. It's not square at all, as you can see, and I think it's just fine. Something I have realized as I grow as a quilter is that you learn something on every quilt. I just try to not have it be the same lesson more than once! :) With this one, I had a lot of seams that all meet in one place so it's kind of lumpy. I need to be more careful when I iron my seams, I guess. Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment