Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Process

Here are a few pictures of a quilt top that I put together Monday. I was feeling proud of myself for crossing a lot of things off my quilting "to-do" list and rewarded myself with starting a new project. I have read a lot about the Process Pledge in various blogs and I like the idea of it. I'm not sure how much process there is with this one because the construction is really straight forward. I had seen this woman on the bus on my way to work that had a purse with a graphic print on it. I got home and drew a picture of it in high-tech Sharpie. ( last image here)
I did have to work out the measurements for the blocks because I have made them in the past using 2 inch strips and only 3 layers, but I felt that would make the blocks (these with 4 layers) way too big. I cut strips at 1 1/2 inches to start and then measured and recorded as I sewed. As long as I stash the paper in a safe place, I will be able to recreate this pattern easily going forward.

Overall, I'm not completely thrilled with the contrast. I love the top in general, but as far as matching my "inspiration," I don't think it's successful. I should have used more charcoal, maybe in place of, say, the stripe to unify the whole thing. In fairness, the purse of my inspiration was only 2 colors, so if i would have done that, it would have been more like the drawing but that wouldn't have been very interesting as a quilt.









In other quilty news, I have been working on the green/cream quilt. I decided on a couple to give it to since they are getting married in September. I took the back to a place where they do custom embroidery to put their names on it. I'm really pleased with the way that turned out and it was only $7.50! Hopefully I'll get it pin-basted together soon so I can start quilting! More on that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment